Determination of residency status of each applicant for admission to the University is made at the time of admission. A student may petition for change to Illinois residency by contacting the Graduate Registration Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applying for Illinois Residency
In order to qualify for in-state tuition at SIU, a student must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. and must be a bona fide resident of the state of Illinois for the six month period immediately preceding the start of the semester they wish to be classified as an Illinois resident. In order to qualify for in-state tuition you would need to be at least 18 years old at the time classes begin and move into Illinois and remain living in Illinois for six months prior to applying. You must also change your driver’s license to an Illinois driver’s license, register to vote in Illinois, and if you are the sole owner of a vehicle you will be driving in Illinois, it must be registered in Illinois. You will need to complete an application for Illinois residency, and include with the completed application any appropriate documentation as requested. Have the application notarized before you submit OR have your application notarized in our office (requires two picture ID’s) and submit copies of the documents listed below in order to be considered for in-state residency for tuition purposes.
The documents below are required and must be changed 6 months prior to the semester residency is being requested.
- A copy of your Illinois driver’s license, or if you do not drive, a copy of your Illinois ID Card.
- A copy of proof you have registered to vote in Illinois. Permanent Residents do not need this.
- If you drive a vehicle in the state of Illinois, you must submit a copy of your vehicle registration, which is the card that your license plate sticker comes on. If you are the sole owner of the vehicle it must be registered in Illinois.
- Proof you have lived in Illinois for the six consecutive months immediately preceding the start of the semester. This may consist of one item per month of any of the following documents.
- Bank statement with your name, Illinois address, and date showing.
- Pay check if you are employed in Illinois with your name, Illinois address, and date showing.
- Rent receipts with your name, Illinois address, and date showing.
- Utility bills in your name with your Illinois address and date showing.
- A copy of your Lease with your name and the effective dates listed.
- If none of the above, then: Three notarized letters from Illinois residents attesting to your residency in Illinois for the six months before the semester begins.
The deadline to submit the Illinois Residency application and all documentation is by the end of the first month of the semester. GRADUATE SCHOOL DATES AND DEADLINES