601 Continuing Enrollment

Main Content

Registration in 601 Continuing Enrollment (1 hour per semester) is required of all graduate students, whether in residence or not, who are not otherwise enrolled for fall or spring semester. Concurrent registration in any other course is not permitted.

All students in a graduate program but not enrolled in 601 by the Graduate School by the first week of the fall or the spring semester will automatically be registered in and charged tuition for 1 hour of 601. This hour will be dropped if the student subsequently enrolls in a class that semester or is granted a leave of absence by his / her graduate program by the 10th week of the semester. Each program has its own policy of whether and when to grant leaves of absence. Students on leave are not required to enroll in 601 for the period of leave but a leave of absence does not affect the time-to-degree requirements. The requirement of the 601 enrollment ends when a student officially withdraws from a program or graduates. Summer sessions are exempt from the continuous enrollment requirement.

Students registering for 601 are assessed only in-state tuition for the credit hour associated with the registration. Since none of the other student fees are assessed for 601, the student is not eligible for the benefits of any other programs such as Recreation Center use, Health Service and Student Medical Benefits, Students' Attorney Program assistance, etc. Students needing the above benefits that require fees may instead register for additional research, thesis, or dissertation hours.


Students who have not paid their bills and owe more than $200 may not be allowed to enroll, and this may affect their graduate standing.