Nondeclared Admissions

Main Content

Admission as a Nondeclared graduate student is limited to U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents. Admission as a Nondeclared student allows the applicant to take upper level courses for graduate credit.

Ready to get started?

Apply Online

For questions or more information, call
618-536-7791 or email


The requirements for admission as a Nondeclared graduate student are:

  • Proof of a Bachelor's degree or graduate degree - no minimum GPA is required
  • Submission of a Nondeclared graduate student application
  • Payment of a $65 nonrefundable application fee
  • Permanent residents are required to meet the English language requirement. The English language requirement may be met by submitting a minimum IBT score of 80 or an overall Band Score of 6.5 on the IELTS exam. Scores cannot be more than 24 months old at the time of admission.

You may remain a Nondeclared graduate student for as long as you wish. However, there are limitations with regard to financial aid and the number of Nondeclared hours a department will accept. Your eligibility to apply for loans is limited to 12 months. Details on available funding may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office, 618 453-4334. As a Nondeclared student you are not eligible to apply for Graduate School Fellowships or Tuition Waiver Scholarships. 


If you have graduated from a university other than SIU you must have an official transcript sent directly to Christine Sellars from the school you attended. You may have an official transcript sent directly to you and bring the transcript to Christine Sellars in a sealed envelope.

If you have graduated or are graduating from SIU, no transcript is required.

For questions, please contact the Graduate School.