As an international student, you may be admitted to the SIU Graduate School only by applying directly to a particular degree program. "Nondeclared" or nondegree admission is not available to international students. You may apply online.
The Graduate School Catalog will list our programs and course descriptions.
Please choose your major carefully from the list of programs, as some departments offer more than one degree at the Master's level. All application materials must be submitted to the department. In order to apply to more than one degree program, you will need to submit separate applications, application fees, and all other application materials to EACH department.
While the Graduate School in general does not have an application deadline, many departments do. Please contact your department directly for application deadlines and to see if applications are only accepted for certain semesters.
Each department sets their own admission requirements. Please contact your department directly for assistance.
All departments require a $65 nonrefundable application fee. This must be paid by credit card at the time you submit the online application.
To be eligible to be considered for admission to a graduate degree program, you must meet the following minimum Graduate School requirements:
For admission to a Master's program:
- 2.7 (on a grading scale with 4.0=A; approximately a "B-" average) on the last two years of Bachelor's coursework
- 3.0 on all previous graduate work (approximately a "B" average)
For admission to a Ph.D. program:
- 3.0 on all previous graduate level coursework (approximately a "B+" average) (some exceptions apply)
The English language requirement may be met by submitting:
- 550 on the paper-based TOEFL
- 80 on the internet-based TOEFL
- 6.5 on the IELTS
- 5.0 on the iTep Academic Plus Exam
- C1 required on the Cambridge English Exam
Some departments require a higher score. Please check with your department directly to verify their TOEFL requirement score.
The English language requirement may be waived if:
- An applicant was awarded a Master's degree at an accredited college/university in the United States and has been in residence in the United States continuously prior to application to SIU (not out of the country for more than one calendar year).
- You have a minimum of 60 graded (A, B, C) hours of recent coursework completed at an accredited college / university in the United States with continuous residence in the United States prior to application at SIU. Pass / Fail, Satisfactory / Unsatisfactory, or Proficiency credit is not acceptable.
Please note: English language requirements vary according to individual situations. What will satisfy the requirement is always determined by the Graduate School Admissions Office, not the department. Please include a photocopy of your TOEFL / IELTS Examinee score report with your departmental application materials.
Application processing times vary greatly according to department. Some degree programs with very selective admission procedures may require that you apply 9 months to a year in advance in order to be considered, while others may require a much shorter period of time. To ensure adequate time for consideration of your application and for consideration for funding, apply well in advance of your desired starting date. Nine months to a year is not too early to apply, especially if you are hoping to obtain funding from your department.
Please note that once you are enrolled as a graduate student, you are required to maintain an overall "B" average (3.0) in your graduate credit coursework to remain in good academic standing.For more information, call 618-536-7791 or email email@example.com.