Graduate assistantships (TAs, RAs, AAs) are available across campus, from academic programs and research centers to administrative and service units.
Nondeclared students are not eligible for graduate assistantships unless granted an exception by the Graduate School.
Students with a graduate assistantship are not allowed to hold an additional student employment position unless they have special approval through the Graduate School.
Information about the criteria used to select GAs and to assign graduate assistantship responsibilities may be obtained by contacting the academic program , the administrator of a research, administrative or service unit.
- Recording of How to Complete a GA Notice of Appointment (November 21, 2023)
There are three types of graduate assistantships:
- Teaching Assistantships
- Research Assistantship
- Administrative Assistantships
Assistantships are offered as half-time (50%) or quarter-time (25%).
- Half-time (50%) assistantships require 20 hours of work per week.
- Quarter-time (25%) assistantships require 10 hours of work per week.
* International students are not allowed by Immigration services to hold more than a 50% assistantships while school is in session.
Graduate Assistantship Information:
- Student Employment While Holding an Assistantship
- Graduate Internships
SIU System Collaborative Tuition Waiver for Graduate Assistants
Would you like to take a class at SIU Edwardsville?
The SIU Carbondale GA tuition waiver will be honored at SIU Edwardsville if you apply and meet the requirements.
Visit the Collaborative Tuition Waiver website for more information.